A government of the masses. Authority derived through mass meeting or any other form
of "direct" expression. Results in mobocracy. Attitude toward property is communistic--negating property rights. Attitude
toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate, whether is be based upon deliberation or governed by passion,
prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences. Results in demogogism, license, agitation, discontent,
Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best
fitted to represent them. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles and established
evidence, with a strict regard to consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within
its compass. Avoids the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice,
contentment, and progress. Is the "standard form" of government throughout the world. A republic is a form of government under
a constitution which provides for the election of
(1) an executive and (2) a legislative body, who working together in a representative
capacity, have all the power of appointment, all power of legislation, all power to raise revenue and appropriate expenditures,
and are required to create (3) a judiciary to pass upon the justice and legality of their government acts and to recognize
(4) certain inherent individual rights.
- Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
- A political or social unit that has such a government.
- The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
- Majority rule.
- The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.
- One who believes in social equality or discounts distinctions in rank.
- Supporter of Democracy.